AT COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
November 7, 1998 Advocacy
Prepared by David Anstrand
The advocacy group included the following members:
David Anstrand, Manheim Township School District
Laura Wernick, HMFH Architects
John Stana, Hunterdon Central Regional High School
Hugh Dunbar, AIA Committee on the Environment
Henry Arce, Parent Activist
Jim Lingenfelter, URS Griener Woodward Clyde
Jon Epps, The Selling Source, Inc
Joyce Lee, NYC OMB
John Amatruda, Steven Winter Associates
Pam Loeffelman, Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer
Our discussions were general in nature.
1. Who is our Audience?
- Spread the message to architects, most of who do not know enough about educational
practices and trends.
- Spread the message past architects and planners to a larger cross-section of interested
players including educators, politicians, parents, etc.
- Spread the message to parallel and complementary organizations such as NASSP, NASBO,
NSBA, CEI, etc.
2. What is our Message?
- "It takes a village"
- Sharing of information
- Future research and training materials
- Our organization is a forum for dialog between various parties
- Involve the community
- Highlight key differences between urban and non-urban education
3. How do we Deliver our Message?
- Use of public/cable TV to get the message to the community
- Newsletter to parallel organizations and their key members
- Face-to-face, one-on-one meetings with anybody interested in this cause
4. What are our Next Steps?
- Develop a name and face list
- Develop specific action plans to meet above goals